Sunday, March 8, 2009

Winter Sports in Monterrey

Living here in Monterrey, a city where the sun shines everyday and the temperature is always warm, I never expected that I would ever utter the words...


I miss winter


But I found out today that a part of me, albeit a small part, does miss the ice and snow. Today my roommates, two mexican friends and I went to one of three skating rinks in the city. We rented skates and hit the ice.


Mexicans trying to skate is possibly the funniest thing I've ever seen. There are essentially two types: 1) Those who do laps around the rink without ever letting go of the boards, and 2) Those who underestimate the slipperiness of ice and decide not to use the boards, promptly falling on their first step out. There are a few who have mastered it enough to skate slowly around, but I must admit, I felt pretty talented despite the ice being of lower quality than your average shoveled lake and skates that have likely never been sharpened.


I thoroughly enjoyed showing our Mexican friends "Canadian games" ie how to make snow with your skates and put it down someone else's shirt. Hours of entertainment... But the best part was, by far, getting to ride in the mini-zamboni...

No comments:

Post a Comment